Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A2

This blog is meant to be an accurate record of my journey. That includes both the good and the challenges.

First the challenges.
For perhaps the first time in my life, I am experiencing true homesickness. Nobody here has heard of Truman or Kirksville. Although I often email, not being able to hear my families voice (or bark/meow) has really hit me hard. Many people on this voyage most likely learned how to deal with homesickness during their normal “on land” college years. I, however, was never more than 5 minutes away from home while at college.

The other “challenging” aspect is the schedule. We are losing hours almost everyday. Yes, we will eventually gain all the hours back but that will be on the return voyage. It is this exhaustion that has prompted this somewhat negative blog post. Tonight is the first night of the voyage that we will not change the clock. People is the dining room all cheered when the announcement was made during lunch. After tomorrow, we will again lose hours for the next two days. I knew I’d be grateful for many things while on this voyage, but finally having a full 24 hour day was not one I expected. Despite losing hours, the days seem to be extremely long. It’s been said in other blogs, but you truly have zero sense of day or time while on the ship. I know it’s an “A” day but that’s about it.

Now on to the good!

My vision has returned to normal and I don't feel seasick without the patch. Yay!!

My multicultural detective fiction class was really interesting today. My teacher was born in Spain so he knows all about it firsthand. We talked about how much has changed in the last 30 years or so. Such as becoming more industrialized and moving from a dictatorship to a democracy. It was really cool to get a first hand account of someone who has lived through it.

The best part of the day was the BBQ to celebrate the 100th voyage! We had all types of food: burgers, hotdogs, baked beans, ribs, coleslaw, etc. It was the first time since we set sail that I felt really full. SAS also set up a huge banner in the 5th floor for everyone to sign. It will apparently be auctioned off at the end of the voyage. Well, It’s midnight and I have an early class tomorrow so I’m off to bed. Goodnight!

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there!! We love ya and miss ya!! :-) I hate that you're losing so much sleep!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check your email! We love you bunches! Hope you get a good nap today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of the BBQ feast but not the losing of sleep. It was easier for me because I got to come home vs a ship but I still have not caught up on sleep yet. I can't wait to hear about Spain in a few days. Don't forget the Sooners this weekend as they open up a season of you- know-what Saturday. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete